Iced Coconut Walnut Bars
More than one person asks me for this recipe almost every time I bring these coconut walnut bars to a friend’s house or to a neighborhood pitch in. Therefore, I decided to share the recipe with you all.
This dessert starts with a moist shortbread layer followed by a sweet chewy coconut walnut layer and is finished with a vanilla icing. I hope that you enjoy this bar as much as my family does.
1/2 cup butter (room temp)
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped black walnuts, regular walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 Tbs vanilla
4 Tbs butter (room temp)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbs heavy cream
1) Cream together the butter and sugar. Gradually blend in the flour.
2) Press into the bottom of a greased 8″ x 8″ baking pan.
3) Cook for 12 minutes at 350 degrees. This layer should be slightly brown on top like shortbread. You should let this layer cool a bit, but it doesn’t need to be room temperature before adding the next layer.
4) Beat eggs. Add in brown sugar and vanilla.
5) Mix in the flour and baking soda. Stir in the coconut and chopped nuts.
6) Pour over the first layer and cook for an additional 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
7) Let cool completely. Remove from pan and place on a cutting board.
8 ) Cream butter, mix in the vanilla and powdered sugar.
9) Add cream until the icing is the right consistency.
10) Spread the icing on top of the 2nd layer and cut into small squares. You can chill it a bit to help the icing setup before cutting.
11) Place a few pieces of nuts on top for a garnish.
Serve and Enjoy!