I love hearty soups in the winter, and I cannot think of many soups that are more hearty than this Beef Barley Soup. When you add a whole lot of quality beef, tasty vegetables, and barley to a soup then the soup definitely qualifies as a full meal. For the absolute best results when making this soup:
- I use the trimmings from a beef tenderloin. That is my little secret for this soup.
- I use homemade beef stock.
This beef barley soup recipe is actually part 2 of my recipe for making beef tenderloin. Please read that post to see the true origins of the beef used in this recipe. If you make both recipes together then you can really stretch the dollar value of a whole beef tenderloin. In essence, by following both my beef tenderloin recipe and this soup recipe you can get two great meals out of a whole beef tenderloin rather than one.
And most important of all – this beef barley soup recipe is fantastic!
1/3 cup barley
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped medium
2 carrots, chopped medium
1/3 c frozen corn
1/2 lbs baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1.5 lbs beef, ~1 inch cubes
6 cups beef stock (click the link for my tried and true beef stock, made by embellishing store bought stock!)
1 cup water
3 Tbs tomato paste
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbs parsley, chopped fine
Optional: Mixed shredded cheese
1. Cook barley according to the instructions on the box and set aside.
2. Heat 1 Tbs oil in large pot. Brown beef on all sides. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 Tbs oil in pot. Cook garlic for ~1 min. Add onion and cook until translucent.
4. Add carrots and cook until tender, ~6 min.
5. Add mushrooms, corn, beef, beef stock and water. Bring to a boil.
6. Add barley, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for about 15-20 minutes.
7. Remove from heat. Garnish with parsley and cheese.
I highly recommend that you try the back-to-back value play that I have described here on the blog:
- Start with a whole beef tenderloin, and serve it at a dinner party with your friends.
- Take the trimmings from the tenderloin and make this soup the following day!